Facilities’ priority is to support the core and critical activities that are currently approved to be on campus and to support the safety and well-being of our campus community.
During the pandemic, some services and support activities are temporarily suspended. University buildings remain closed and Facilities continues to monitor all Buildings and Building Systems on a regular basis. Urgent and emergent work is being prioritized daily, and delays can be expected for certain services.
Facilities Support Services is handling all requests. Please submit a Customer Request through the PAWS Facilities Request channel.
Operations, Maintenance, and Service
Non-essential service work is suspended for the duration of pandemic operations. All Facilities Requests will be prioritized and responded to as appropriate:
- Critical issues will be prioritized and responded to immediately or as quickly as possible.
- For non-critical requests, response times could be longer than normal.
- Based on specific situations some requests may be catalogued and dealt with at a later date.
Custodial Operations is responsible for the cleaning protocols for authorized public spaces and is following enhanced cleaning protocols in response to COVID-19. The team is consistently adjusting cleaning/disinfecting protocols, schedules, and routines as activity changes and new information is available.
Routine cleaning service levels for areas that are authorized to be open include:
- Routine disinfection of high-touch surfaces such as doorknobs, handrails, and light switches in public areas such as restrooms, hallways, elevators, and stairwells.
- Special attention to hand-washing stations and that hand sanitizer is available in public spaces.
- Public spaces, classrooms that are being used, and clinics are cleaned daily.
- Restrooms authorized for use are cleaned daily and are adequately stocked at all times.
- Currently, there are designated bathrooms to which coverage is provided.
- Labs are cleaned daily with a special focus on floors and garbage collection.
- Private offices are cleaned once a week with a focus on cleaning floors, garbage removal, cleaning of door handles, and light switches.
Additional service may be provided as such:
- Bathrooms with increased traffic will be cleaned 2-3 times per shift with a focus on high touch surfaces.
- Public spaces that are authorized to be open will be cleaned 2-3 times per shift with a focus on high touch surfaces including elevators, handrails, water fountains, vending machines, and furniture.
- Entrances will be cleaned 2-3 times per shift with a focus on doorknobs and glass.
- Supply levels (hand soap, hand sanitizer, paper products) are being constantly monitored to ensure an adequate stock.
- The university will continue to use peroxide-based cleaners as they have proven to be effective against the virus.
Requests for additional Custodial service:
Custodial Operations is responsible for the cleaning protocols for public spaces. Enhanced cleaning and the incremental costs for additional cleaning services, supplies, or training of college and/or unit spaces are the responsibility of the individual college and/or unit. Facilities Support Services is handling all requests. Please submit a Customer Request through the PAWS Facilities Request channel.
The University of Saskatchewan has taken measures with its Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems to reduce the risk of airborne transmission of COVID-19. Campus buildings have a variety of ventilation systems with varying capabilities. Where applicable and equipment allows, the following measures have been implemented:
- running ventilation systems at or near capacity
- increased fresh air intake and air exchange rates
- prioritizing preventative maintenance and filter changes for ventilation systems
- setting ventilation schedules to run fans before and after normal occupancy hours
USask has implemented many additional health and safety requirements that will remain in place to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 on campus.