Visit for the latest federal travel advice and advisories.

International travel

USask is gradually resuming travel in support of our academic, research and administrative operations. Staff, faculty and students who are travelling on USask business are expected to follow Government of Canada recommendations and any local public health guidelines.

Staff and instructors

USask Faculty and Staff travelling outside of Canada are expected to submit a Travel Request for approval prior to making any bookings. Travel Requests can be approved by an individual’s supervisor unless the planned trip is to a location that is covered by a Federal Travel Advisory indicating that Canadians should avoid all non-essential travel or avoid all travel. For planned travel to a location with a Travel Advisory in place, the travel request must be approved by the dean or vice-president of the college/unit in addition to the individual’s supervisor prior to any bookings being made.

If you need assistance in navigating the Travel Request process, please contact Connection Point.

If you're planning on travelling be sure to monitor and review Canada's entry requirements before and during your trip.


Prior to booking your flight, familiarize yourself with the University of Saskatchewan travel safety requirements for students, and contact at least 30 days prior to your estimated departure date to initiate the institutional pre-departure process. 

COVID-19 vaccination requirements

Depending on where you are travelling to, you may need to provide COVID-19 vaccine documentation and agree to follow all University of Saskatchewan COVID-19 requirements as well as those put in place by Canadian and foreign jurisdictions, including airlines. Any financial obligations in meeting COVID-19 rules and regulations in all jurisdictions related to international travel is your responsibility.

High-risk areas

For safety reasons, USask does not send students to high-risk areas that are under the avoid all non-essential travel or avoid all travel advisory as per Global Affairs Canada. However, if you have strong academic reasons to pursue high-risk travel, learn more about the travel exemption request process by visiting the USask safety abroad page or by contacting

Travel paid by the university

If your travel is paid for by the university, follow the booking process for USask-funded travel. If you are paying for your travel, you may use a service provider of your choice.

Travel within Canada

We recommend staff, faculty and students who are travelling on USask business to check any restrictions or Public Health Orders that may apply in the province to which you are travelling. It is not mandatory that you self-isolate upon your return from an out-of-province trip.

Students: If your travel is paid for by the university, follow the booking process for USask-funded travel. If you are paying your travel, you may use a service provider of your choice.

Some USask colleges and units (including student residences) may have additional restrictions and requirements for individuals returning from a trip outside of the province. Please follow all applicable university restrictions and requirements, along with any other Public Health Orders

Arriving in Saskatchewan

Check the most up-to-date Public Health Orders for those travelling to Saskatchewan.

Residents of other provinces coming to Saskatchewan (for example, to visit family) should observe all public health measures.

International students

Incoming International students can find the most up-to-date information on arrival to Canada and Saskatchewan here.

Booking USask-funded travel

Follow the steps below if the faculty, staff or student travel will be fully or partially paid for using a CFOAPAL.

  1. All proposed travel must be supported by a Travel Request through Concur that is approved by the traveller’s supervisor before any travel arrangements are made. If you are a student, request a Concur Profile.
    1. If your travel destination falls under Global Affairs "avoid non-essential" or “avoid all travel” advisories, you must route your travel request in Concur to your Dean/AVP/VP, in addition to your supervisor, prior to making any travel arrangements.
    2. Prior to making any travel arrangements, students must contact at least 30 days prior to your estimated departure date (60 days if travel is to high-risk destinations that fall under Global Affairs "avoid non-essential" or “avoid all travel” advisories) to initiate the institutional pre-departure process. 
  2. Once the travel request has been approved, all air travel should be booked through one of the approved USask travel booking processes, either Concur (fully-funded by USask) or Direct Travel (fully or partially funded by USask).
    1. Direct Travel can support airfare partially funded by a USask CFOAPAL—the traveller can arrange payment for the airfare personally and then submit the USask funded portion for reimbursement to ConnectionPoint through the Request a Reimbursement service.

Personal Travel

Before travelling outside of Saskatchewan, all members of the university community are strongly encouraged to evaluate all associated risks, which may include the risk of becoming ill, falling under the restrictions of a foreign government, or forfeiting travellers cancellation or medical coverage.

Additional Information

Travelling Outside Canada

Sun Life supports the Government of Canada’s efforts regarding travel. We urge plan members to follow the recommendations of the Government of Canada Travel Advisories

What this means for plan members

The following is not available under our Out-of-Country (OOC) travel benefit:

  • coverage of any expenses during and after a period of quarantine (directed by a doctor or public health official), unless the member shows symptoms of or has tested positive for COVID-19
  • any request for extension of OOC coverage beyond the travel duration limit as set out in the contract

For emergency medical expenses to be eligible for coverage, members must meet the definitions in our contract for “emergency” and “emergency services”. These definitions have not changed.

Sun Life will treat a medical emergency resulting from COVID-19 in the same way as any other medical emergency outside Canada.

For individuals whose travel is paid for by funds administered by the University of Saskatchewan, all non-refundable costs incurred as the result of the cancellation of trips related to the COVID-19 outbreak will be considered eligible expenses under the Travel policy, per the criteria restrictions as outlined below for international and inter-provincial travel.

Examples of non-refundable expenses include:

  • non-refundable airfare
  • change fees related to the postponement of an event
  • non-refundable conference fees
  • non-refundable hotel booking fees, etc...

The claimant must include an appropriate rationale with their claim (meeting/conference cancelled, travel advisory issued, personal health concern, etc...)

In accordance with normal procedures, any costs associated with a cancelled trip will be charged to the fund through which the authority to travel was approved.

Addressing impacts on one’s employment terms and conditions, as a result of managing the COVID-19 matter, will involve consideration of respective collective bargaining units, employee handbooks, employment contracts, the circumstances of each incident, etc., with final arrangements and decisions residing under the authority of the faculty’s and/or staff’s immediate supervisor (with guidance from Faculty Relations and Human Resources).



Symptoms or health concerns
Call HealthLine at 811.

General SK COVID-19 questions
Call 1-855-559-5502, or 306-787-8539 (Regina) from 6 am to 10 pm.

USask-related questions