Information for University of Saskatchewan students studying abroad. If you are an international student studying at the University of Saskatchewan, please refer to the international students page.

International Student and Study Abroad Centre

The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) is closed but offering remote services. If you would like to talk directly to an International Education Officer, all advising will be conducted online.

Changes in procedures due to COVID-19

Student international travel

All university-related international travel is suspended until further notice.

2020 fall term

For students interested in taking online courses from home at another institution abroad in the fall term, please do research on the course offerings and application process at that institution and contact if you need any assistance.

  • If you find remote courses that you would like to take at USask partner institutions abroad, please discuss credit transfer with an Academic Advisor in your college.
  • If you register for remote courses that are approved for transfer credit by your college and there are registration or non-USask tuition costs associated with the courses, you may apply for a Global Engagement Scholarship through the International Student and Study Abroad Centre.

2020 winter term

The University of Saskatchewan is accepting applications for student exchange winter 2021 semester, however a decision if students can travel during this period for academic purpose is still under review.

USask continues to monitor Government of Canada and public health authorities recommendations along with other Governments recommendations to ensure USask students participating in these programs will be safe.

Students interested in participating are asked to apply by the listed deadline dates, however a final decision if the program will be able to run will be determined in the fall when further details about student travel for academic purposes is released for winter 2021 semester. Please watch for further updates during the fall. For further questions, email

Frequently asked questions

For USask students planning to travel outside of Canada for university related activities

The suspension of all university international travel is still in effect.

2020 spring and summer terms: All university related student travel during the spring and summer terms has been suspended. If you were participating in a College organized Spring or Summer study abroad program, please contact your college coordinator about questions relating to the cancellation of the program. For all other inquiries, please email

2020 fall semester: All university related student travel outside of Canada (outbound mobility) in the fall term has been suspended. There is an exemption to travel process available for graduate students, who have strong academic reasons to pursue travel internationally.

Students who have been nominated by ISSAC for the fall 2020 student exchange program will be contacted by ISSAC to discuss remote learning options.

2021 winter semester: Travel during the 2021 winter semester is still under review.
Please also stay informed of the Canadian government recommendations for travel.

Arts and Science faculty-led program fees will be fully refunded. Please contact for more details. Participants in other faculty-led programs should discuss reimbursements with the college that was offering the program.

Contact the organizations through which you've made any plans (airlines, hotels, insurance companies etc.) and see if you are able to be refunded for any cancellations.

If you have received funding from the International Student and Study Abroad Centre, please contact Scholarships and financial aid may be modified or rescinded in cases where travel has been cancelled.

If you have received funding from your department or another organization, please get in touch directly with them about your scholarship. If you are unsure about who your scholarship provider is, please contact and we will do our best to direct you accordingly.

For USask students currently abroad

There may be limited options available to Canadians wanting to return to Canada. Please contact the closest Canadian embassy to discuss your options to return to Canada and financial help for Canadians outside Canada.

Canadian citizens please contact if planning to return to Canada.

International students please contact if planning to return to Canada.

Students participating in affiliated study abroad programs please contact

Canadian citizens abroad are also encouraged to get in touch with the nearest Embassy or Consulate for consular assistance.

Follow the advice and instructions of local authorities and prioritize your well-being. Make sure to register with Global Affairs Canada for any consular assistance.

If you are a USask exchange student and your term was interrupted, there is a possibility of tuition refund, if you are not able to continue or complete your courses online. Please contact the International Student and Study Abroad Centre at about your circumstances and we will provide further information about how to submit a financial appeal.

For returning travellers

Yes. Based on the Quarantine Act put in place on March 25, 2020, all travellers entering Canada must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to Canada. Failure to do so could result in fines up to $750,000 and/or prison time for up to six months.

Please follow the Government of Canada's guidelines to self-isolate for 14 days following travel and continue to monitor for symptoms related to COVID-19 like fever, coughing and difficulty breathing. If you experience symptoms, contact HealthLine 811 for advice.

For incoming exchange students at USask

You can access an unofficial copy of your transcript online through your PAWS account. Once we are able, we will send one transcript free of charge directly to your exchange program coordinator. If your home institution cannot accept an unofficial transcript until we are able to send one directly to you, please contact and we will try to make other arrangements.

The University of Saskatchewan has recently announced that it will continue primarily with remote delivery for the majority of fall courses. Considering these recent updates as well the current travel restrictions that are in place for incoming visitors to Canada, we regret to inform you that on-site studies in Saskatoon will not be possible during the fall 2020 semester. With the recommendation from the public health authorities, foreign students are asked not to travel to Canada if on-site delivery of courses is not available.

If you have been nominated by your home University to study as an exchange student at the University of Saskatchewan for fall 2020 semester, you should have received an email in June outlining the options available to you by the College you have applied to. If you have not received this correspondence, email for further information.

The University of Saskatchewan continues to monitor the travel restrictions and the recommendations of the public health authorities. Decisions whether courses will be offered on site or remotely for winter semester 2021 will be determined in the fall. Nominated exchange students to the University of Saskatchewan will receive an email in the fall once a decision has been made.

For current international students studying at the University of Saskatchewan:

Please refer to the FAQ for international students for more information.

Drop-in advising

If you would like to talk directly to an International Education Officer, please note that all advising will be conducted online.

For information about drop-in advising please visit the ISSAC web page.